Individuals who feel their negative thought pattern is causing them to remain anxious and affects their productivity must talk to a psychologist. The specialist will help them learn techniques that can help them think rationally regarding their feelings and behavior. People who want to consult a reliable and experienced psychologist must visit the Medicare Cardiac & General Hospital.
The effective CBT techniques are:
- Recording your Thoughts: The technique allows to check the validity of the thoughts. The person has to weigh the pros and cons of their behavior. This technique helps individuals to rationally evaluate and then deal with negative thoughts. The goal of the technique is to understand the situation and react based on evidence rather than opinions. Journaling can help the person gain insight into their moods, way of expression, and responses. The awareness helps the individual to prioritize logical explanation and reaction.
- Awareness of Cognitive Distortions: Cognitive distortion refers to faulty thoughts that allow the person to believe in something unrealistic. Therefore, the client must learn how to deal with them by asking questions to themselves such as; what are the chances that it can happen? or am I forgetting important elements and coming to a conclusion? It allows the person to think in different possible directions and overcome uncertainty.
- Rationalizing and Cognitive Restructuring: After a person identifies the cognitive distortion, it is essential to challenge them. Reshaping allows the person to have a realistic and practical approach to every situation. The person must evaluate the reason for cognitive distortion and challenge it by becoming realistic and implementing rational decisions in every aspect of life.
- Exposure: Exposure therapy helps deal with phobias. The psychologist tries to make the person understand the stimuli they’re afraid of and then expose them to it to overcome the irrational fear. The different types of exposure therapy include:
- Situational Exposure Hierarchy: The psychologist/psychiatrist provides the client with hypothetical questions/images and asks them to rate their fear.
- Flooding: The psychologist asks the client regarding the most intense situation they feel anxious in regarding their fear.
- Systematic Desensitization: The technique is paired with relaxation exercises. The psychologist will create an environment where the client will refer to their fear while engaging in relaxation exercises. Eventually, the individuals will associate their negative thoughts/fear with relaxation and positivity.
- Functional Assessment: The technique uses a tool in which the client notes down antecedent, behavior, and consequences regarding a situation. The therapist and client work together to understand the pattern of the behavior and what might have triggered it.
- Relaxation Techniques: Different relaxation exercises help the person become calm, active, and positive. Some relaxation exercises are:
- Progressive Muscle Relaxation: The person learns to tense and releases the muscles while thinking of a positive image.
- Mindfulness Meditation: The person focuses on negative scenarios and ways to deal with them. The person feels that they are in control, which allows them to remain calm and confident rather than anxious.
- Deep Breathing: The exercise helps overcome anxiety by changing the focus from the stressful event and breathing in and out.
- Role Play: The technique allows the person to understand the automatic response and then evaluate it accordingly to their understanding. It helps them to modify their response in real situations.
- Homework: The person has to use the techniques in everyday life for symptom reduction. The person must learn to practice and implement the learned techniques in everyday life. The person thinks and reacts positively to overcome anxiety, panic, and phobias.
The person who struggles with mental issues must consult a psychologist in Islamabad. The specialist will help the person understand their problem and cause. Also, provide assistance to change negative thoughts into positive ones, which will allow the person to become confident, content, and productive.
Read more interesting articles at Latest Blog Post